Avraham Raz, Ph.D.
421 E. Canfield Street, Suite 1130
Detroit, MI 48201
- Cancer Metastasis
- Established various experimental systems in order to determine common processes shared by metastasizing cells (irrespective of their histology and species of origin).
- Determined that cell adhesiveness and migration play a role in normal morphogenesis and homeostasis as well as pathogenesis of various diseases including the behavior of malignant cells.
- Concentrate research on tumor cells heterogeneity and on elucidating the cellular and molecular mechanisms by which nonmetastatic tumor cells adhere to each other and to extracellular substrates, and migrate throughout the body.
- Closed and characterized the genes responsible for these functions in metastatic cells.
- Developed Antimetastatic drugs in the lab which are in clinical trials and antibodies against metastatic—related genes for tumor diagnosis.
- “MERIT Award”, 2007, Division of Cancer Biology, National Institute of Health, National Cancer Institute,The Role of Tumor Cell Surface Lectins in Metastasis, R37CA046120-19.
- Published over 300 articles
Goodman CK, Wolfenden ML, Nangia-Makker P, Michel AK, Raz A, Cloninger MJ. Multivalent scaffolds induce galectin-3 aggregation into nanoparticles. Beilstein J Org Chem. 2014;10:1570-7.
Michel AK, Nangia-Makker P, Raz A, Cloninger MJ. Lactose-Functionalized Dendrimers Arbitrate the Interaction of Galectin-3/MUC1 Mediated Cancer Cellular Aggregation. Chembiochem. 2014;15:2106-12.
Funasaka T, Raz A, Nangia-Makker P. Galectin-3 in angiogenesis and metastasis. Glycobiology. 2014;24:886-91.
Wang Y, Ha SW, Zhang T, Kho DH, Raz A, Xie Y. Polyubiquitylation of AMF requires cooperation between the gp78 and TRIM25 ubiquitin ligases. Oncotarget. 2014;5:2044-51.
Gao X, Balan V, Tai G, Raz A. Galectin-3 induces cell migration via a calcium-sensitive MAPK/ERK1/2 pathway. Oncotarget. 2014;5:2077-84.
Gao X, Balan V, Tai G, Raz A. Galectin-3 induces cell migration via a calcium-sensitive MAPK/ERK1/2 pathway. Oncotarget. 2014 Feb 19. [Epub ahead of print]
Funasaka T, Raz A, Nangia-Makker P. Nuclear transport of galectin-3 and its therapeutic implications. Semin Cancer Biol. 2014:30-8.
Kho DH, Zhang T, Balan V, Wang Y, Ha SW, Xie Y, Raz A. Autocrine motility factor modulates EGF-mediated invasion signaling. Cancer Res. 2014;74:2229-37
Balan V, Wang Y, Nangia-Makker P, Kho D, Bajaj M, Smith D, Heilbrun L, Raz A, Heath E. Galectin-3: a possible complementary marker to the PSA blood test. Oncotarget. 2013;4:542-9.
Funasaka T, Balan V, Raz A, Wong RW. Nucleoporin Nup98 mediates galectin-3 nuclear-cytoplasmic trafficking. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;434:155-61.
Nangia-Makker P, Raz T, Tait L, Shekhar MP, Li H, Balan V, Makker H, Fridman R, Maddipati K, Raz A. Ocimum gratissimum retards breast cancer growth and progression and is a natural inhibitor of matrix metalloproteases. Cancer Biol Ther. 2013;14:417-27.
Ahmad A, Ali S, Ahmed A, Ali AS, Raz A, Sakr WA, Rahman KM. 3, 3'-Diindolylmethane enhances the effectiveness of herceptin against HER-2/neu-expressing breast cancer cells. PLoS One. 2013;8:e54657.
Kho DH, Nangia-Makker P, Balan V, Hogan V, Tait L, Wang Y, Raz A. Autocrine motility factor promotes HER2 cleavage and signaling in breast cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2013;73:1411-9.
Education and Training:
BSc in Biology (1970): The Ben-Gurion University of Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
MSc in Physiology (1972): The Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel (Distinction)
PhD (1978): The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel. Title of Thesis: Structural and Functional Changes in Cells and Membranes in Response to Drugs and Concanavalin A, 1978.