Undergraduate Summer Fellowships
Applications are accepted December 1 - February 15. The fellowship application will reopen for the summer 2022 program on December 1, 2021. Undergraduate students only. The summer fellowship is a full time opportunity.
The Cancer Biology Graduate Program in the Department of Oncology, and the Karmanos Cancer Institute provide Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowships to outstanding undergraduates interested in a career in biomedical research. Each student admitted to this 10 week program will be assigned to a faculty member under whose direction he/she will carry out a specific research assignment designed to yield new research findings. Students are expected to maintain records of their research, participate in lab meetings and departmental programmatic seminars, attend a one-hour course once a week, and to prepare and deliver a poster describing his/her work on Summer Research Poster Day along with other summer fellows. Funds to support the training of undergraduates have been derived from local philanthropy. Underrepresented minority students are encouraged to apply.
Karmanos Cancer Institute and Wayne State University have had a long-standing interest in training young scientists for careers in cancer research. This interest culminated in a formal Cancer Biology Graduate Program in 1989 designed to train PhD level cancer biology researchers. In 2010, the graduate program was integrated into the newly formed Department of Oncology at the Wayne State University School of Medicine. Throughout this period, the program has actively recruited outstanding college students for summer research fellowships. The objective of this training program is to introduce outstanding college science majors to the realities of scientific research, and to prepare them a PhD program in Cancer Research.
Students will be afforded an opportunity to learn how to analyze, interpret, and communicate scientific research results from their own experiments.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens/permanent residents (proof of citizenship may be required).
- Applicants must have a 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Must be going into sophomore, junior or senior year in the fall of 2021.
- Fellows will receive a stipends for the ten week fellowship.
- Accepted students can apply for on-campus housing, but will assume all living expenses. Most of our summer fellows stay with family members or friends in the area.
- Applications for the summer of 2022 will be accepted December 1, 2021 - February 15, 2022.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- Complete packets include: Application ; one-page letter of interest describing why you should be considered for this position, and what your future professional goals include; resume; college transcript; and two letters of recommendation signed and on letterhead.
- Online application form will open December 1st. email supporting documentation to email@example.com. (must be received by February 15th).